BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN DIAGNOSTIC MEDICAL SONOGRAPHY (DMS)
The objective of the course is to produce versatile medical sonographers equipped with adequate knowledge and skills in performing various Diagnostic Medical Sonography procedures and tests related to patient diagnosis, disease, prevention and treatment.
The Diagnostic Medical Sonography programme aims to prepare students to be leaders in the field of ultrasound. Skills in administration and research are emphasized in addition to the development of scanning and diagnostic abilities, thus producing competent diagnostic medical sonographers of high professional standing in the delivery of ultrasound practice and able to:
• Demonstrate effective communication skills with patients and all members of the healthcare team.
• Provide compassionate patient care and education to promote overall well-being.
• Act in a professional manner within recognized ethical and legal standards.
• Obtain, review and integrate pertinent patient data to facilitate optimum diagnostic results.
• Perform sonographic procedures appropriately and accurately recording all anatomic and physiologic information for interpretation by a physician.
• Demonstrate the ability to think critically during the performance of sonographic procedures to provide optimum diagnostic services.
• Maintain optimal function of the sonographic equipment.
• Assist physician during invasive ultrasound guided procedures.
• Demonstrate a commitment to lifelong learning.
• Function as an informed professional in a changing health care system and have the ability to evaluate and construct their own approach to medical laboratory science practice.
• Demonstrate the values necessary to serve the patient and society as a caring, ethical, knowledgeable professional and enlightened citizen, be it independently or as an active member of the healthcare delivery system.
• Demonstrate skills in critical observation and enquiry through placements in different units of specialties.
• Possess the capacity to continue as a productive and responsible member of the profession and assume leadership roles as appropriate to the profession and society.
• Demonstrate a good understanding of current and future health issues, public health policy and international health rules and regulations.
• Document and present complete and accurate sonographic findings to the interpreting physician in order to facilitate patient diagnosis.
Graduates of our programme are prepared for many varied and stimulating career opportunities.
Graduates may Practice as:
• Vascular Sonography
• General/Abdominal Sonographer
• OB/Gyn Sonographer
• Ultrasound Department Manager
• Imaging Services Manager
• Applications Specialist
• Choose to attend a medical, dental or veterinary school.
Faculty members of the Public Health Programme are also committed to producing graduates who demonstrate essential attributes of cultural competence, intelligence, sound judgment, and honesty, the ability to relate to people, and the capacity to react to situations in an appropriately calm and reasoned manner.
Applicants to Radford University College are admitted on the total strength of their applications. While academic criteria such as grades, quality and level of courses, test scores, trend of grades, and rank are of primary importance, leadership skills, involvement in school and community activities, recommendations, and how effectively an applicant communicates strengths and interests orally, are also important (and sometimes crucial) elements in an admission decision.
Radford University College as an open institution, welcomes applications from all persons who meet the University's admissions standards and requirements. A competitive selection process is necessary because the number of students to be accepted must be limited by the University's teaching and physical resources.
Senior secondary/high school certificate-Science Students
1. Holders of SSSCE/WASSCE, with aggregate 24 or better, (With credit in English Language, Mathematics and Integrated Science and credit passes in three elective subjects in Science.
2. A pass in the Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSSCE) or West African Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (WASSSCE) is understood to mean a candidate’s grades interpreted as follows:
3. Senior Secondary School candidates shall be admitted into level 100 (First Year) of the 4 year Bachelor of Science Degree in Physician Assistant.
D7 & E8
General Certificate of Education Examination (ordinary and advanced Levels) – Science Students
With passes or credits in at least five (5) subjects(including English Language, Mathematics and Science) at the GCE ordinary level and three (3) passes at the GCE Advanced Level. Two (2) of the advanced level passes must be grade “D” or better. A pass in General Paper must also be obtained.
Applicants who are 25 years and above working or having worked for 2 years or more can apply as mature candidates. Mature candidates will be required to write a university entrance examination in three papers: Mathematics, English and General Science equivalent to Senior Secondary/High School level. Only candidates with a pass mark of 60% or above in each of these papers will be admitted.
Foreign students must have their high school certificates/diplomas refer to the NAB for determination of equivalences and eligibility for admission to tertiary institutions in Ghana. Qualifications in non-English languages translated into English with an accompanying statement showing how their system equates to the Ghanaian system.